In order to coordinate efforts on various areas of research on tropical cyclones and their impacts on the socio-economic development process in the Typhoon Committee Area, the Typhoon Committee has established the Training and Research Coordination Group (TRCG) with the following Terms of Reference and operational modalities.
Terms of Reference
The TRCG is to promote research and training activities on various aspects of tropical cyclones analysis, forecasting and assessment of tropical cyclones and their impacts on the socio-economic development process and encourage cooperation of efforts among the Members. Towards this end, the TRCG is expected to assist in:
- identifying scientific and technical problems in the analysis and forecasting of tropical cyclones and their impacts on water resources and measures for disaster prevention and preparedness;
- facilitating the exchange of experience and knowledge on the latest development and techniques related to the above problems;
- Coordinating training and research programmes, including activities in support of cross-cutting initiatives and other collaboration programmes among Members such as twinning and mentoring arrangement, aiming at developing the capacity of Members;
- evaluating the effectiveness of training and research activities undertaken by TRCG, and providing support to other working groups in performing such evaluation; and
- recommending to the Committee priority areas and long-term plans for cooperation in research and training in support of the various KRAs of the Committee’s Strategic Plan.
The TRCG shall be comprised as follows:
- The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson(s);
- or, Co-Chairperson(s);
- Focal point of Training and Research Component from each Member;
Terms of Service
The Chairpersons and Vice-Chairpersons of the TRCG shall be appointed for a term of service of two years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
In view of the limited financial resources of the TC Trust Fund, the TRCG is expected to communicate through email and other means which require no financial resources from the Trust Fund. All submission for consideration by TRCG will have to be made through the focal point of each Member or through the Chairpersons of the Working Groups established by the Committee. The TCS is requested to transmit all materials related to TRCG to the Working Group Chairpersons. If possible without financial support, the TRCG members should meet during the pre-session period before the TC Session.
The Chairperson of the TRCG is required to submit an annual report on research and training activities to implement the Strategic Plan three components priority goals through the TCS to the TC Chairperson and the TC Members for their consideration under the framework of the Committee. This report will include recommendations related to priority activities to be undertaken in the coming years.