In order to coordinate efforts on the implementation of various activities under the Meteorological Component with the aim to better support the socio-economic development process in the Typhoon Committee Area and to help accomplish the meteorological related goals and objectives in the Strategic Plan, the Typhoon Committee has established the Working Group on Meteorology (WGM) with the following Terms of Reference and operational modalities.
Terms of Reference
The WGM will promote cooperation among the Members in the implementation of activities under the Meteorological Component of the Committee’s Strategic Plan with the aim to support the socio-economic development process and enhance cooperation among the Members in all the three components. (Training and Research are incorporated as part of these three.) Towards this end, the WGM is expected to advise and assist the Committee in:
- Identifying priority issues and areas of cooperation in the Meteorological Component;
- Promoting and facilitating the exchange of experiences and knowledge on latest developments and techniques related to the above issues and areas;
- Coordinating and implement priority activities and programmes of the Committee aiming at strengthening capacity of the Members in meteorology;
- Mobilizing resources to carry out priority activities of the Committee related to the meteorological Component;
- Reporting overall progress in the implementation of the meteorology component of the Strategic Plan; and
- Recommending to the Committee priority areas, programmes and activities for cooperation in meteorological research by related experts of the Members.
The WGM shall be comprised as follows:
- The Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson(s);
- Focal point of Meteorological Component from each Member;
Terms of Service
The Chairpersons and Vice-Chairpersons of the WGM shall be appointed for a term of service of two years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
In view of the limited financial resources of the TC Trust Fund, the WGM is expected to perform its work through email and other means. If possible even without financial support, the WGM members should attend the Integrated Workshop and the WGM meeting during the TC Session.
- WGM members should, non-periodically, report to the Chairperson and TCS their respective meteorological activities and progress in the implementation of the Strategic Plan during the inter-session period;
- The Chairperson of the WGM is required to submit an annual report on meteorological activities to implement Strategic Plan meteorology priority goals through the TCS to the TC Chairperson and the TC Members for their consideration under the framework of the Committee. This report will include recommendations related to priority activities to be undertaken in the coming years.