ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee (TC) is holding a 50th anniversary photography competition with the theme “Weather and Climate in Typhoon Committee Region”. Interested TC Members are invited to submit their photos until 27 October 2018. The Advisory Working Group (AWG) of TC will shortlist 10 photos for TC Members to vote and select the winners.
How to Enter
Take a striking photo which illustrates the theme “Weather and Climate in Typhoon Committee Region” and meets our submission guidelines.
The TC Members can submit their own photos or organize a local competition to receive submissions from the public. In case, TC Member had already organized their own photo contest, Member can make a selection and submit the photos.
TC Members should read the Terms and Conditions and submit photos to TCS by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Don’t forget to include a short explanatory caption and location for each of your photos!
- All photos must be a minimum size of 2500 x 3500 pixels.
- All photos must be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format (with little compression to preserve image quality.
- Black and white photographs as well as coloured photographs will be accepted.
- All photos must be clearly captioned, including a title, a location and the date of the photograph.
- All photos must be taken on the TC Region
Entries will narrowed down to a shortlist of 10 photos by the AWG of TC. Entries will be judged on:
- Technical quality, clarity, and composition
- Visual impact
- Novelty and flair for the unexpected
The judge panel composed by AWG Members only (AWG Chair and Vice-Chairs, 4 Chairs of Working Groups, ESCAP, WMO and TCS) will select a shortlisted of 10 best photos at the 13th Integrated Workshop in November 2018. The voting process will be conducted during the 51st Session in February 2018, where Members can vote for the Top photos. The results will be announced after the 51st TC Session in February 2019.
Deadline for Entry and Prize
The deadline for entry is 27 October 2018. The prizes (crystal plaque) will be offered to winners of the photo contest (1st, 2nd and consolation prize). All submissions will received a certificate and entries will be published in a Photo Contest Book in celebration of the 50th Anniversay of TC.
- A TC Member may submit up to six (6) separate entries in total. Subsequent entries will not be deemed valid.
- The Contest period closes 27 October 2018.
- During voting, Members should vote for 3 best photos and not allow to vote on their own submission.
- Results will be announced after the 51st TC Session in February 2019. The decision is final and binding.
- The Contest is open to all TC Members. Employees of the TC Secretariat are prohibited from Contest entry.
- The photos must not contain indecent/sensitive content or other objectionable or inappropriate content that invades the privacy of other persons and violates the laws or associated regulations of the “TC Members”
- Entrants are required to obtain permission from all persons appearing on photo. If an entrant is chosen winner, and such written permission cannot be provided, TC has the right to reject the entry.
- Use of copyrighted materials, is prohibited unless the entrant has written permission to use such materials. If written permission cannot be provided, TC has the right to reject the entry.
- Entrants of all photos selected as winner will be notified via e‐mail. If no response is provided within seven days of notification, the winner shall forfeit any and all claims, and will be disqualified.
- The photographer retains the rights to his/her photographs; however, by entering the photo contest, he/she grants TC a non-exclusive license to display, distribute, reproduce and create derivative works of the entries and texts, in whole or in part, in any media now existing (such as publications, websites, and social media) or subsequently developed, for any educational, promotional, publicity, exhibition, archival, scholarly and all other standard purposes of TC. Due credit will be given to the entrant each time his/her photo is used, wherever feasible. Photos and text will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Photos that have been awarded or given honourable mentions in any photo contest other than contest organized by TC Member, either online or in print, and photos that have already been used in print or online publications (including but not limited to posters, online and print media, publicity materials, books, and articles) are not eligible.
- Minimal cropping is permitted. Minor adjustments, including dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustments, are acceptable as long as the integrity of the original photo is maintained.
- The TC will not be responsible or liable for: a) any problem, loss or damage due to delay and/or failure in receiving and sending the entry as a result of any network, communication or system interruption or error, b) any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, site failure or unauthorised access to entries, as a result of use of the designated YouTube channel and/or website, c) any problem, damage or loss of whatever nature to any entrant, or their authorised representatives, resulting from their participation in the Contest.
- The TC reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend or delay the Contest in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond its reasonable control. The TC reserves the right to change, amend, delete or add to these Contest terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, and the entrants shall be bound to such changes.
- All decisions are final.