In establishment of the Advisory Working Group, the Typhoon Committee provided the following guidance for their assistance in planning and implementation of measures required for mitigation of typhoon-related disasters.
- To improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Typhoon Committee, the TCS, and TCS Secretary.
- To promote international cooperation in the three components of Meteorology, Hydrology, and Disaster Risk Reduction. Training and Research are incorporated as part of each of these three.
- To promote the use of advanced information technology and resource sharing among Members of the Typhoon Committee.
- To facilitate the implementation of the Strategic Plan, Annual Operating Plan, and Annual Budget.
- To enhance resources mobilization.
Terms of Reference
The Advisory Working Group (AWG) will assist the Chairperson of the Typhoon Committee and the TC Secretary to coordinate the implementation of TC decisions. The AWG will also act as a “Think Tank/Steering Group” function to advise and offer options or proposals, as required, to the Typhoon Committee Members, the Typhoon Committee, the TC Chairperson, TC Secretary.
- To monitor, review, and evaluate the Strategic Plan’s Key Results Areas, Strategic Goals, and Activities; the objectives/action of the Annual Operating Plan; and Annual Budget and make proposals concerning these documents and the evaluation of the results achieved to the Committee.
- To provide overall direction and oversight for the Associated Activities – Integrated listed in the Strategic Plan.
- To provide options and proposals to enhance the effectiveness of the Typhoon Committee, TC Chairperson, the TC Secretary, and the TCS.
- To assist in the consideration and coordination of prioritize project proposals and their budgets provided by the three components of TC. Training and Research are incorporated as part of each of these three.
- To provide options and assistance on collaborative activities among the three components and priority options to the Typhoon Committee.
- To provide options and assistance on mechanisms aimed at improving the implementation of the Strategic Plan and Annual Operating Plan.
- To assist in mobilizing resources to achieve the goals and objectives as determined by the Typhoon Committee in the Strategic Plan and Annual Operating Plan.
- Coordinate and harmonize activities among WGs, TRCG, and TCS.
- Monitor and ensure that the projects/activities authorized by the TC are being accomplished in a timely manner.
- Development, review and propose the format of the Members’ written reports and Members’ oral reports at the Typhoon Committee Sessions to focus on the results achieved on the Strategic Plan and Annual Operating Plan.
- To evaluate proposals for Typhoon Committee’s Members attendance at international meetings funded by the TCTF.
- Perform missions as required on strategic planning and project/grant proposals to selected Members.
- Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson(s) of AWG as appointed by the Typhoon Committee.
- Chairpersons of the TRCG and the three working groups (meteorology, hydrology, and DRR) and the Head of RSMC Tokyo, and
- Representatives of WMO and ESCAP (as ex-officio members)
Term of Service of the Chair and Vice-chair(s) of the AWG
The term of service of the Chair of the AWG is two years subject to extension authorized by the Committee. The limit of service for the Member providing the Chair shall be two consecutive terms.
The term of service of the Vice-chair(s) of the AWG is two years subject to extension authorized by the Committee. The limit of service for the Vice-Chair(s) shall be three consecutive terms.
AWG would conduct most of its work, coordination and communication through correspondence including e-mail, and would be supported by regular reporting from the TC Secretariat. As described in the above Terms of Reference of AWG, considerable amount of important issues and projects for TC and its Members will be discussed and accomplished by AWG. To enhance the efficiency of the operation of TC, it is recommended that an AWG meeting be held at least every year. At the request of the TC or TC Chairperson, the AWG will investigate and review issues, make recommendations and proposals, assist in implementing approved projects, activities, etc.